Sunday, 1 August 2010

Bright Colours, Vinohrady

I don't know how long they've been painting Prague apartment blocks in these pastel shades. When I first came to the city in 1991 such gaiety was reserved for the Old Town Square and one or two other 'showpieces'; everything else was pretty grey and broken down as far as I recall.  But now it's difficult to find a building, old or new, that hasn't been given a lick of Neapolitan ice cream. And that extends to the panelaky too, which, let's face it, could do with it.

This is a good example from the posh residential suburb of Vinohrady, just a couple of tram-stops from Vršovice. Traditionally, owners and landlords contribute to a fund run by a management company; when the fund reaches its target, the whole façade will be refreshed - presumably according to an agreed colour scheme. Imagine the arguments...

In recent years a new kind of painting - crude spraycan graffiti - has made its way on to the lower floors of these decorative buildings. Generally it's the territorial marking of a 'gang', or perhaps the sprayers are disaffected with disneyfication. Or maybe they do it just because they can - under the Communists, after all, graffiti was a no-no. 'Cle's Crew' is my local lot, and I must say that although their efforts appeal to my view of Prague as a lived-in city rather than toy-town, there is a limit. Come on, lads.

Shades of Tony Harrison's 'V' in my last paragraph, I fear. Anyway, today is 'Theme Day' for City Daily Photographers. To see how others have interpreted 'Bright Colours', Click here to view thumbnails for all participants

3 comments:

Lynette said...

Wonderful post for Theme Day. My Theme Day post at Portland Oregon Daily Photo will be up at 5 a.m., Pacific Daylight Time, on August 1. Today's is a pretty nice tease for it, though.

Inverness Daily Photo said...

Wonderfully bright colours.

Karin said...

Hi! Hey, Lynette, I am from Portland Oregon. Been gone 16 years now, but visit often.

Anyway, about blog. I will have to say I found all the graffiti very disturbing! I don't understand the minds of the people (gangs, etc) who destroy beauty in this manner. I could rant, but will stop here.

I liked your photo for this blog.

Karin on Paros

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.