Wednesday, 6 January 2010

Twelfth Night

I couldn't let the season pass without posting a picture of this splendid tree outside one of the many fabulous villas that line this street on the Vinohrady-Vršovice border. The building contains the headquarters of several media and advertising companies, and tomorrow, with all its fellows, the office tree will be consigned to the fireplace, or more likely the nearest skip. But for the last few weeks it has stood proudly in the enormous doorway (presumably many visitors also stood alongside it while pondering how to get to the front door...)

This street, named after Copernicus, has some of the smartest residences in the city, including (two doors down) the official residence of the Danish ambassador, Mr Ole Moesby. What a fantastic, Gatsbyesque place it is. I shall show you some pictures in the summer.

Yesterday I made a rash promise to continue the story of Three Kings Night, when children dress up and beg for charity. Sadly I was rather caught off guard by the speed with which night descended, and now all good little kings have to be in bed, so it will have to wait until next year. But I have one more story to tell about the visit of the magi, and I am determined to tell it tomorrow. Watch this space...

2 comments:

Hilda said...

Even without the tree, I imagine the building looks magnificent. Its night lighting is gorgeous!

lizziviggi said...

I agree with Hilda-- I'd love to walk around that neighborhood, tree or no tree! Even without pictures, it was fun to read your description of Three Kings Night. It's good to teach children to care about something other than getting presents at Christmas!

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.