Monday, 11 January 2010

Leden

January is known in Czech as Leden, from 'led' meaning 'ice'. February, by contrast is called 'Únor' which may originate in the idea of thawing, though typically it's just as cold.

In the last few days I have been snuggled up and not going out (hence the astonishing lack of blogs). Not that it's too cold, but we've had an exceptional snowfall, and it's still snowing right now.

The snow is very deep indeed - I cleared it from my car yesterday and another twelve inches has already piled up. The flakes have been tiny - like pin-pricks, and my mother reminded me of the North American Indian proverb - 'little snow, big snow' when she called earlier today. Luckily I work from home, so there's no need to go further than the potraviny round the corner for supplies, wearing my new Baťa boots. I feel like Shackleton.

These foot-long icicles are hanging from a street lamp outside my window in Vršovice.

2 comments:

Luis Gomez said...

Wow! and I am complaining because we have 26 degrees Fahrenheit in DC.

Jilly said...

Love the shot.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.