Monday, 4 January 2010

Late Change

Well, I'm back from my holiday, part of which was spent in an area of Dartmoor so remote that it had no GSM and certainly no internet. Some would consider this bliss, but it meant I could do no work, and worse - no daily blog! Had I been able to participate in this month's Theme Day (on 1 January), I would have sent this photo, on the topic 'Change'. Still - better late than never...

The word ‘drub’ meaning ‘bits’ applies both to unwanted bits of meat and spare ‘bits’ of money, but if you want to avoid the odd stares of shopkeepers, ensure that you use ‘drubné’ not ‘druby’, otherwise you may end up saying, as I have on several notable occasions, ‘I’m sorry, I don’t have any giblets’. The drubné which you can see here are the 2,5,10 and 20 crown coins and the 50 crown note. At current exchange rates these are roughly equivalent to 7p, 17p, 35p, and 70p, while the note is worth £1.70.

The national symbols are as follows: 2 Kč - a jewelled brooch from Moravia; 5 Kč - a stylized Charles Bridge, river and linden leaf; 10 Kč: Brno cathedral; 20 Kč: Bohemian Lion (obverse) St Wenceslas Statue (reverse); 50 Kč: St Agnes, patron saint of Bohemia.

The missing coin is the 1 Kč, on which is depicted, simply, a crown (in Czech, ‘koruna’). Please join my campaign to force BMI baby and other airline operators to say that they will accept the Czech ‘koruna’, not ‘krone’ (the Scandinavian currency) on their flights.

How long this historic currency will last is very much up in the air. There is no question that Czech exports are being damaged by not being in the Eurozone, and it would seem a logical extension of membership of the EU for the Czechs to join the common currency. So before long it may be time for a change for change.

3 comments:

Tulsa Gentleman said...

Whenever I traveled out of the USA I would end up with some spare change from the countries I visited. At one time I had a jar full then gave it to a kid who was a budding coin collector. Tere is always some history to be learned from what is stamped on a coin.

Julie said...

I enjoyed this post, Alex. Late or no.

Alex said...

Thanks for kind comments. Taken the day after Boxing Day and held in cold storage. Still, it keeps well.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.