Sunday, 20 December 2009

Winter in the park

Most people imagine Prague must be like this all year round! But this scene has been reflected all over Europe this week, and it looks as though many of us are going to be enjoying a white Christmas. I came back from the south of France yesterday and it took 15 hours instead of the normal 4, most of it spent sitting in locked-down airports.

It's very cold at the moment, and I'm not moving more than I need to. This graceful avenue is in the park only two minutes way from my front door, and that's far enough. The photo was taken at 4pm today.  For comparison, below there's a picture taken in the same park (though not of the same trees) at the beginning of October this year, when the temperatures were still incredibly high. Seems a world away.

My winter soup recipe:

1. Quickly saute, in 3tbsp pumpkin oil or alternative, one small birdseye chilli - deseeded for a slightly less spicy version - one small onion, diced, two large or four small parnsips, diced


2. Add 500ml vegetable or chicken stock, and a half inch piece of peeled and sliced ginger
3. Bring to boil, then simmer for 20 minutes
4. Add 50-100ml cream, to your taste.  Stir. Transfer to blender and blend till smooth
5. Reheat if necessary



3 comments:

Jilly said...

A beautiful winter scene and good to see the same park in milder times. That's a lovely shot with the light and shadows.

I don't think I 'do' winter anymore but I could murder a bowl of your soup. Still very cold here. No more snow but dogs' water bowls frozen this morning...unheard of - almost.

J Bar said...

Such a contrast to summer in Australia right now.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Julie said...

I agree with Jim. All that I am reading and seeing is a wonderment to these Australian eyes.

But I gather from the news this morning that most of Europe is in locked-down mode and faring poorly.

Take care of you and yours.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.