Monday, 14 December 2009

Morning light : Vršovice and Nusle

This is the view due south from Havličkovy Sady, looking over the rooftops of Vršovice and Nusle beyond. Barring the odd TV aerial, it could be Victorian London.

In fact there's more than a whiff of Dickens about the suburb of Nusle, where there was once a castle and parkland before the railways came. It's a bustling, faintly grimy place, with two significant features. One is the crowded, tiny Náměstí Bratří Synků (named after two journalist brothers, Viktor and Otto Synek, executed by the Nazis) which is a major intersection of tramlines and the site of a future Metro station on the proposed Line D.

The other is one of the outstanding architectural achievements of the communist era, the Nusle Bridge, completed in 1973. This extraordinary construction, which spans the Botič valley, carries six motorway lanes and Line C of the Prague Metro, 150 feet up in the air! I would imagine it's the highest overground underground line in the world.

Although this blog technically only covers Prague 10, I've been nibbling away at other suburbs; and I think Nusle is close enough to Vršovice, and interesting enough photographically and historically,  to warrant more in-depth coverage later in the year. Now I think about it, the ancient citadel of Vyšehrad is on the other side of the Nusle bridge, and I'd love to show you that, but I really would have to rename the blog if I went that far afield. Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Nathalie said...

Just discovering your blog thanks to a comment by Jilly on Menton Daily Photo.
Jilly is a dear friend and I'm really pleased that you got her involved in the city out project. Her talent both as a photographer and as a writer deserve recognition.

I've just been browsing through your latest posts, very interesting indeed.

I particularly enjoyed your Waiting theme day photo.

Nathalie,
Avignon in Photos

Alex said...

Thanks Nathalie; yes - having just started my blog, I was lucky to catch that chap at the station. Love the Avignon pictures, too! Cybernetically, Alex.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.