Thursday, 10 December 2009

Karel, the decorator

Karel, from neighbouring Žižkov (the suburb of Prague named after the famous 14th-century one-eyed horseman), is one of those painters who just gets on with the job. It was difficult for him to do otherwise, as my conversational Czech didn't extend much beyond asking where he was from, and confirming that (like most Czechs) he preferred his tea without milk. Still, I think he appreciated it being made by an Englishman. This type of period apartment has extremely high ceilings, hence the fact that I can only show you his legs.

This is the second in an occasional series showing people at work. Future blogs will bring you the laundress, the artist, the chess player, the Vietnamese corner-shop owner, and the extremely bored banker. I may also have a go at capturing the elusive tram-ticket inspector, though that may end up in a fisticuffs situation.

This evening I made my way to the Christmas market again to try to get some night shots, none of which really worked too well, but I hope to show you some of them in the weeks leading up to Christmas. Meanwhile, as the paint dries, I continue with the excellent 'War with the Newts'. I also find myself - perhaps unsurprisingly - writing this post in the style of the painter's namesake, Karel Čapek.

4 comments:

Tulsa Gentleman said...

I have never seen a painter stand astride a ladder like that. He looks like he knows what he is doing. I found you by a link in Julie's Sydney Eye and am enjoying your blog.

Jilly said...

Love it and fell about at your commentary. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your people at work, Alex. You write SO well.

Julie said...

Yes, you do have an entertaining style that just behoves the reader to continue.

I like photos of people at work that don't show the entire person. I look forward to the others on that list.

Now, how can you be an "Englishman" because the UK does not have a stage of schooling called "college". Does it?

Alex said...

Well, I could have said university, but we do still refer to a 'college education' and have Further and Higher Education colleges. The tea, however, was definitely English!

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.