Tuesday, 22 December 2009

Grébovka Pavilon

A different aspect of the newly-restored pavilion (Czech 'pavilon') in Havlíčkovy Sady, this time looking from the south. As you can see, it's a most unusual building, but what really stands out is the painted panel above the door. I've been unable to determine what exactly is going in in the three paintings: this one looks like a market scene, but the others (like the one in closeup below) have the character of a story from legend. As soon as I can, I shall post my findings in this blog.

Even so, this mock-mediaeval picture puts me in mind of a story. This evening in the local boozer, my friend Jan (an archer) told me that there's an expression in the sport, 'a Robin Hood shot', which refers to the splitting of one arrow by another. With modern equipment - a metal and carbon fibre arrow - this feat is apparently more common than you might think, but still pretty impressive. He showed me on his mobile phone a picture of a successful 'Robin Hood shot' of his own. I now believe this must be possible.

As a matter of interest, I am including this link to an article from Česká Televize (Czech TV) about the reconstruction of this building. If you're unfamiliar with Czech, you can always run it through Google Translate to get the details, but the pictures tell the story pretty effectively, especially the one of the pavilion prior to reconstruction, a sad affair overgrown with weeds; and that of the interior of the historic bowling alley (see yesterday's post).


5 comments:

J Bar said...

It's a great building.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Tulsa Gentleman said...

This is a beautiful building. It looks very medieval, as it is intended to. I am curious about the exposed wood. It must be subject to harsh weather. How is it protected? The same question would apply to the paintings, which are very nice by the way. I always enjoy your photographs and interesting comments.

Alex said...

Thanks for your comments. That's a very good question about the wood, and it had occurred to me too. I can't believe they would invest all this money in reconstruction without taking precautions against the weather though. The waiter, Pavel, tells me that there will be someone there tomorrow who knows more about the history of the building, so I'll go along and try to get an answer to your question.

Holly Tavel said...

Havlickovy is my favorite park in Prague! And it's nice that it's only a five minute walk from my place. :) I can't wait till they're finished restoring the Grotto, though I think it won't be for over a year...

Alex Went said...

Hi Holly. You must live near me! Let's go fo a coffee here when you get back from the States :)

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.